Thursday, July 25, 2013

Let's talk about Vardos

As a traveling tiny  house enthusiast who also tends towards the eccentric side of life, it is no surprise that Vardos are my favorite classic structure. Haven't heard the word "vardo" before? Neither had I until I looked up "gypsy wagons", "gypsy caravans".  And then I was hooked. 

Vardo is the Romani word for "wooden cart" more specifically referring to those used on the British Isles. They were most popular in the late 1800's. Though many were seen before then, it was more common for tilted carts and tents to be used while traveling. Many vardos are still held onto and restored today, and sadly for me, a locationally challenged lady who would love to go see one up close, almost all of them are in Europe. 

Though with the rise of tiny house popularity, these lovely wagons are starting to be used all over the world again. People are building new versions, putting ornamentation that is more personal than traditional on them, and making incredible little homes that double as art pieces.

There are many different types of traditional vardos, dealing with architectural shapes, and wheel placement, and roof types, etc. but I'll save that for another post! 

Below are some of my favorite images I've found of wagons, traditional and untraditional. When possible, I'll credit the builders or owners, though some of these photos have been so tossed around tumblr and pinterest that no one can be quite sure anymore. If you are reading this, and know any info about these photos, let me know, and I'll write it in!



This photo really exhibits how much work went into the detail of such a structure.

This is one of my very favorite photos. I imagine a bustling street, with merchants and sales men, talking crowds into buying mystical objects and potions. 




I often vend and camp at festivals, and have saved this photo because it is a perfect example of how to combine vending space and living space. Awnings are wonderful! And it allows a vendor to sleep and spend off time near their shops, just in case one is vending in a new or more untrustworthy area.

Love the included porch!







Love the paintjob these two did on their lovely house

I like the clever use of trims on this one. Its a great alternative for those who don't like to do intricate painting work, but still want a decorative element.

Anyway, I have TONS more photos on this and other little house subject matter, so rather than post them all in one go, I'll save some for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment