Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Which Car Should Pull My Tiny House?

Photo from tinyhouselover

Since my van died a couple months ago, I am in the predicament of having to choose what my next car should be. Should I go for a short term plan, of getting a tiny gas efficient sedan to save on fuel costs? Or do I want to establish a more long term plan of getting something a little bit more powerful for when I have to haul my studio/house/workspace on wheels?

Though I have a class B commercial driver's license,  I still have only a cave-man's knowledge of cars and their individual capabilities. I am by no means a mechanic, and therefore the most advanced knowledge I have concerning this subject matter is that a Jetta most likely not the best choice to haul a 30 foot flatbed with a house built on it.

Since I am an artist, and wish to travel with my studio/shopfront on a fairly regular basis, I feel I need to do more research than those that only haul trailers once a year for vacation, or as a one time house-moving-excursion.

So, dear readers, I would like to introduce you to TOWCAR.INFO. This site is extremely helpful, and allows one to type in all the specs of both their car, and any recent trailer that is on the market, and get an educated overview about the safety, speeds, and feasibility of taking it on the open road. This is really going to help me research and figure out which car to get for my tinyhouse pulling endeavors.

Now, my tiny house is going to be a home built one that I build on a flatbed trailer, (probably around 12-16 feet) but I can always find a caravan that has a similar size and shape, and use that to compare different car models.

To finish this post out, if anyone has any advice for me or other house-hauling newbies, feel free to write it in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment